Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Interview with Sarah Atkinson, Senior Acquisitions Editor for Tyndale House Publishers

Entering into the world of publishing is like entering another culture.  There are many wonderful things that you would like to take pictures of, and also many things that make you scratch your head and say, "Someone please tell me what is happening.  Or take me somewhere familiar, like McDonald's."  I thought it would be helpful for all those writers out there to interview some of the people involved in making Imaginary Jesus happen.  Our first victim -- uh, interviewee -- is my good friend Sarah Atkinson.  Enjoy!

Matt: What is your official title?

Sarah: Senior Acquisitions Editor for Tyndale House Publishers.

Matt: And what exactly does an acquisitions editor do? What does a typical day look like?

Sarah: I manage the proposal evaluation process for our book team. Each proposal undergoes an initial review so we can determine whether to move it forward internally to our sales team (where we ask our reps’ opinions on how it will perform in the marketplace) and then to Publication Committee (where we officially request approval to publish it). Then, once a book is acquired, I guide it through our internal system, working closely with our editorial, design, and marketing teams. In terms of a “typical day…” it’s Monday evening as I write this, and some of my activities today have included: (1) title/subtitle brainstorming for a new book (2) reading proposals (3) talking to an agent to reschedule a project (4) requesting some changes to an audio book we’re currently in the process of recording (5) creating “fact sheets” for our sales team to help them pitch upcoming products (6) writing back cover copy (7) giving feedback on a front cover design. I also ate some Cheez-Its, and told a couple of stories about my dog.

Matt: I noticed that when trying to acquire "Imaginary Jesus" there were two acquisitions editors involved. Were you afraid that the author would be a mean-spirited jerk and you needed someone to document his behavior?

Sarah: Yes. The truth is out! (No, not really. I work closely with Jan Long Harris, Associate Publisher of Books, on all of my projects. We brought Imaginary Jesus in together.)

Matt: Have you wanted to be an acquisitions editor since you were very young? What drew you to this job?

Sarah: I don’t think anybody wants to be an acquisitions editor when they’re very young. Not at my elementary school, at least. We all wanted to be dog trainers because that was the most interesting session on Career Day (puppies)! As early as high school, though, I knew I wanted to work with books in some way. I did a publishing internship at InterVarsity Press during college, and when I found myself getting genuinely thrilled about minor editorial fixes (“See that comma? That one? I PUT IT THERE.”) I figured I was on the right career track. It’s been ten years and I still think that was a good move.

Matt: When it comes to submissions at Tyndale House right now, what sort of book are you seeing to often?  In other words, what sort of proposal makes you groan and shake your head and say, "Not another one of these"?

Sarah: There isn’t a specific subject that fits this description for me, because any topic can be compelling if the writing is good. Sorry that’s not as snarky an answer as you may have expected! Besides, as soon as I said something like “I am SO sick of getting proposals about three-headed penguins” then maybe somebody with a terrific three-headed penguin story, one that really breaks out of that boring old penguin box, would read my comment and decide not to send it to me. And I can’t take that risk.

Matt: Describe your dream book.  What sort of book are you hoping to find?
Sarah: Right now, I would be excited to find a strong spiritual travel memoir. Also, any book guaranteed to hit the bestseller lists should definitely come to me. :)

Matt: Please explain why you have named your dog "Bullet."

Sarah: No. People will judge me.

Matt: Our readers demand to know: What is the worst thing about being the acquisitions editor for "Imaginary Jesus"?

Sarah: I’m still a little mad that I had to break both my arms in order to acquire it. (Readers, I am not being metaphorical here. We’re talking two arms in actual casts. It’s a long story.)

Matt: What is the best thing about your job?

Sarah: I am part of a wonderful team. Even if I didn’t love my work as much as I do, it would still be a pleasure to come to the office every day and work with this immensely talented group of people. This sounds very Stepford, but it’s true. (The second best thing? One of my colleagues is taking a cake decorating class and brings the results to work. Homemade frosting!)

Matt: Tells us a couple of your favorite books.

Sarah: The Great Divorce. Emma. Girl Meets God. Watership Down. Anything by Adrian Plass. And I don’t have the complete manuscript yet, but I am anticipating that Craving Grace by Lisa Velthouse, which I acquired and which will come out in 2011, will fall into this category.

Matt: What else would you like to say to our millions upon millions of readers?

Sarah: If you are an aspiring writer, you may find it helpful to hear what an acquisitions editor (me!) appreciates about working with an author (Matt!). He’s a terrific writer, and he keeps up an interesting blog that keeps me coming back between books. He’s genuinely interested in connecting with his readers—for example, he makes it a point to reach out to anyone who blogs or writes a review about Imaginary Jesus and thank them. He meets deadlines and responds to emails. Come to think of it, the only thing he really does wrong is make his emails very funny, so that I always save them to read until last. (This is no skin off my nose, but kind of works against him when I have 100+ other messages.)

Also, Imaginary Jesus is awesome. Please buy it. The first time I read it, I knew by page 24 that I desperately wanted to work on this book (thanks to the Frog of Hate). There is nothing like it in Christian fiction and it is a privilege to be part of launching it.
Matt: Sarah, thanks for your time, and thanks also for revealing that bit about the funny e-mails.  I had no idea.  From now on, expect deadly serious correspondence.  Readers, feel free to leave any other questions you have for Sarah and I will send them to her in a somber email and maybe she will answer them for

No comments:

Post a Comment